Thursday, April 07, 2005

Good News and Bad News!

As I was walking up to the office tonight I ran into a bunch of the guys that had just gotten off shift and were coming back to get some sleep before they have to go to work again tomorrow night. Smiley, one of the guys on that shift had this big old grin on his face. Nothing new really, how do you think he got the name smiley anyway?

Smiley has been expecting the birth of his son for the past several days, so I put two and two together. Today was the day. Apparently he had received a Red Cross message and was sure that it was the news of is son's birth. As we walk into the office Rod is already inside on the phone. It didn't take much to get him to realize his phone call wasn't quite as important. He got off and Smiley called the Red Cross to get his message...His girl friend had indeed gone into labor. He called her father and got the number to her hospital room. After a short conversation with the tired mother, all had been confirmed. He was a new Dad, the baby boy is strong and healthy and Mom is ok and recovering from labor nicely. Now he is calling all of the loved ones he can think of to give them the news. I only regret that he had to be here instead of home to be with his girl friend for the birth of their son.

That's the good news. The bad news is actually why I came back to the office. I had to write about it or I felt like I was going to explode.

I thought I was gonna get by without one this time. For some reason it has happened every single time I have been deployed, but this time the chances were slim so I wasn't too worried about it. Besides, I didn't want to think about it because I was afraid I would jinx it.

No one on the data package is married. In fact Triple H has just gone through his divorce. I am the only one on the Tri-Band team that is married and Joyce and I are going as strong as ever. That only leaves PS from the Tac-Sat team, and they have been kinda shakey ever since he joined the military from what he has told me.

He came by my room this evening to tell me that our platoon sergeant had been trying to get a hold of me all day and had some questions for me, then he paused. "By the way, I am going to need to set up a JAG appointment." My heart sank. I knew what was coming next before he even said it. Tonight his wife told him she couldn't take it anymore, and she wanted a divorce. I wanted to scream. I have seen this too many times out here now. I know his heart is breaking and there is not a damn thing I can do for him except be here to listen to him and try and be as big brotherly as I can. I get very attached to all of my guys, even the ones that I want to kill sometimes, so it hurts my heart when this stuff happens. I can only imagine the kind of pain he is feeling, and I just wish I could make it all go away.

The sun will still come up tomorrow and hopefully he will know what his next move is going to be. If not I will try to help him make the best decision for himself and then I will do everything in my power to make sure it happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home